Thursday, September 13, 2007

Two at a Time

So I had both an OS and an OD appointment today! The surgeon said everything was looking and healing great! Again, I forgot to ask about the possibility of that palate/appliance thingy he mentioned weeks back. But, hey maybe they will forgo it? He cleared me to eat anything within reason...'no jawbreakers!' he said. I would be petrified to eat something hard anyways. With that he said he didn't need to see me back for another 3 months! My next appointment won't be until December! wow!

So off I went to buy some bread and cheese...I've wanted a grilled cheese for some time now!! I made one for lunch but still cut it up into bite sized pieces!! It's just easier that way!

Then this afternoon I had my orthodontist visit. It went smoother than last time. Taking the surgical wires off is tough! They have to clip it into pieces and slide it through the brackets instead of just pulling it right out. I guess that's due to it's rectangular shape instead of the normal round wire! After that, it was time for the real test...rubber bands. Yes they are back, with a vengeance!! I have a band on each side of my mouth in a rectangular shape, nothing really drastic but oh my god are they tight bands!!! I have to wear them 24/7 and change them 2-3 times a day!! They also suggested to wear them while eating. While eating?!?! But, they explained that 1) they are there to have constant pressure to ensure my bite is where it should be 2) I need that guidance even when I'm chewing (which I agreed with) 3) people are less likely to forget to change them after eating when they are know they are probably gunked with food!!! So off I went with my diagram of which teeth they go on and two bags of bands--one for the purse and one for the medicine cabinet! I didn't get any word on how much longer they suppose I'll be in braces. They were really busy today so I'll try again next time.

I figure I should go and take some Advil before something decides to hurt a lot!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hah, I haven't had a round wire in a year!

Kristy Eng said...

trust me WEAR THEM WHEN U ARE EATING...honestly from my first surgery i was 15, didnt really listen all that well and when i chew now i look like a horse, my mouth is all over the place...people say its cute, CUTE???? come on now, trust me listen to your OS...or u could be right where i am, going or round 2 of surgery:(

Aimee said...

Just wanted to say hi! I hope you are doing well. Sorry to hear about your hubby. That must be hard, but I am sure school is keeping you busy. Take care!